Date Published 10 April 2018
Moving house is a stressful time and it`s easy to forget these crucial things you need to do before moving.
• You should start sorting out and packing up your belongings with plenty of time to spare. You can exchange and complete within a week and you don`t want to be held back moving into your new house because your old house is in chaos. Also, you want to avoid moving any rubbish into your new space. You want a fresh start without clutter.
• While packing everything up, remember to label your boxes. This seems simple, but a lot of people forget to do this, and it can really help you out when it comes to unpacking everything.
• You need to let important people know about your change of address. Let the bank know so that anything important they may send you won`t end up in the wrong hands. Inform the DVLA of your change of address because you can be fined up to £1000 if you fail to inform them that you`ve moved.
• Set up having your mail redirected with the post office so that you don`t miss out on any of your post.
• Your car insurance can differ depending on your location, so you need to let them know where you`ll be living. If you`re moving to a ‘less risky` location you may be due a refund!
• Before leaving your old home for the last time make sure to take meter readings. You want to ensure you`re not going to end up being charged for someone else`s usage.
• Change your tv and broadband before moving so you`re not left without tv and internet for too long. Moving can be an unsettling (& exciting) time but little things like that that help you feel more at home straight away.
• Before you finally leave the property for good do a final, thorough check. Go into each empty room and check all cupboards, nooks and crannies. You don`t want to leave a single thing behind.
We hope these tips have helped you out and made your move a little less stressful!